Stonehenge

Stonehenge
Stonehenge, England

Hi everybody!

Would you like to practise your English? If so, go ahead!

Thursday 21 June 2012

Reading

Children think reading is "uncool", and would rather spend time online than looking at a classic book, teachers say.

More than 400 English teachers were questioned about how much they think pupils enjoy reading.
The majority said they think children prefer to spend time online and two out of three think reading isn't seen as cool.
The man in charge of schools for the government, Nick Gibb, says he's not surprised by the results.
He wants kids to master the basics of reading early so that then they can explore books like Harry Potter and eventually get onto classic authors like Charles Dickins. (CBBC Newsround)

Your Comments:

"I always read during the evening as it helps me to relax, but during the day I play computer games."
Lewis, London, England

"Reading is not uncool- it takes your imagination to loads of magical places! You can't just take a bus to Hogwarts can you!"
Will, Oxfordshire, England

"I think it's important to read, but does it really matter where you read? If it's on the web it's still reading."
Matt, Reading, England

"I think reading can be fun but I find other things better and would rather be outside or on the computer."
Victoria, Portsmouth, England

"I think reading is good but the internet is also fun. I would rather spend time reading a good book than going on the computer, although sometimes I like using the computer."
Katie, Essex, England

"We disagree that reading is seen as uncool. Our class would choose to read over other activities. Reading helps in all areas of children's learning including writing and history."
Class 8, Barnsley, England

"I love reading. I try to read at least two chapters a day, at weekends and during the holidays. I enjoy going on the internet as well. I think it's good to do both!"
Mary-Jane, Buckinghamshire, England

No comments:

Post a Comment